Shane Watson says he’ll never give up bowling just to remain part of the Australian cricket team.
The allrounder is expected to return to the team for Friday’s third Test against South Africa in Perth after recovering from a calf injury.
Watson said only something drastic would stop him from bowling.
“Unless something goes horribly wrong I certainly wouldn’t give up on bowling,” he said.
“It’s something I love – being involved in the game – even though I know it puts more pressure on my body.
“Mentally, it can be challenging at times but it doesn’t take away from the love of being able to contribute with bat and ball.”
Watson injured his calf playing a Sheffield Shield game for NSW, after ironically being brought home early from the Champions League Twenty20 in South Africa to avoid him burning out.
After narrowly missing selection in the Adelaide Test, Watson will replace Rob Quiney and will most likely bat at No.3.
It is great news for Michael Clarke as it gives the Australia captain another option with the ball after his attack was unable to dismiss the stubborn Proteas in Adelaide.
Watson said he was ready to bowl as much as the team required.
“I’m certainly going to be up to bowling as many overs as Michael (Clarke) wants,” he said.
“The normal sort of workload that I bowl in a Test match. Things have progressed really well over the last week.
“If I had of played in Adelaide it would have put my comeback in jeopardy.
“Mentally, the hardest think is knowing I’m not out there playing the game I love. Hopefully, I can have a good crack and play out the rest of the summer.”
The news could get even better for Australia with South Africa star Jacques Kallis fighting to be fit after injuring his hamstring in Adelaide.
Kallis’s omission would create a huge hole in the Proteas line-up, potentially giving Australia an extra advantage as they chase the world No.1 ranking.